I admit that I’m a genuine car nut. I’ve not only collected auto memorabilia for over 30 years, but I’ve also spent many years researching and sharing the heritage of Indiana autos.
This website is part of my effort to share facts about the pioneers, companies, and communities who made automotive history. It is the offspring of our books Cruise IN: A guide to Indiana’s automotive past and present, and Indiana Cars: A History of the Automobile in Indiana.
Indiana once vied for Michigan’s title as the automotive titan of the United States. It was at a time when the names of automobiles like Duesenberg, Stutz and Cord brought worldwide acclaim to the Hoosier state. Indiana’s contributions to automotive history have been numerous. Tilt steering, cruise control and hydraulic brakes are just three examples of the innovations introduced by Indiana automotive pioneers. Yet the innovators themselves have become nearly forgotten–overlooked as we take their inventions increasing for granted as part of the standard equipment on today’s models.
Today, Indiana’s rich automotive history and current accomplishments are scattered throughout the state in museums, historical markers, and remnants of manufacturing plants, and events that beckon auto devotees. My desire is to share with you some of this rich automotive culture.
Let me give you a brief tour of the various sections here at Cruise-IN.com.
- The Indiana Cars section provides insight into our book Indiana Cars: A History of the Automobile in Indiana, first published as a hardback book in 2002 and republished as a paperback in 2013.
- The Indianapolis Auto Tours section provides information about our exclusive tours sharing Indianapolis’ automotive history. These tours range from a couple in a car up to a 66 passenger coach.
- The Presentations section features information about our exclusive presentations about facets of Indiana’s unique automotive history.
- In our Bookstore you’ll find information about automotive works by Dennis E. Horvath and Terri Horvath.
- The Heritage section shares stories about Indiana cars and companies, Indiana auto pioneers, our list of Indiana-built autos, Mileposts in Indiana automotive history, and our Ask Dennis page.
- The Resources section has an Indiana slant that shares automotive book reviews, stories about Indiana backroads adventures, Indiana auto museums, Indiana auto exhibits – events, and auto hobby related links.
- Be sure to check out our blog Celebrating Car Culture where we discuss all kinds of items relating to cars.
So, pour a cup of your favorite beverage, sit back, and enjoy your journey through Indiana’s automotive heritage. If you have any interests or questions on Indiana auto-related subjects, please post them in the Ask Dennis section, and I’ll be glad to reply.
Thank you for your interest.
Dennis E. Horvath