Another of the lessor-known autos in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum Indiana Automobiles: Precision over Production exhibit is the 1925 Apperson Six Sports Sedan.
The Apperson Brothers Automobile Company produced its first auto with a Sintz engine in 1902, building perhaps a dozen for the year. Early two-cylinder Appersons came in 1903 and four-cylinder engines followed in 1904. Production of six-cylinder engines were regularly produced in 1914. The Apperson V-8 engine came in 1916.
It is said that Elmer Apperson’s passion for speed and wide open spaces inspired the Jack Rabbit insignia first seen on their 1906 racers. The Apperson brothers Elmer and Edgar continued their interest in auto racing and their autos competed in a number to events including two Indianapolis 500 races.
Apperson Plant One was built on the site of the original Apperson Riverside Machine Works on Main Street in 1910. Plant Two was constructed in the 1700 block of North Washington Street. The corporate offices were across the street from this plant.
The company enjoyed its peak year of production in 1919, employing about 600 people and producing 3,000 units at the two plants. In the early 1920’s business began to decrease. Elmer Apperson died of a heart attack in 1920, thus weakening the Apperson brother’s strong partnership. The Apperson’s, like many others, were not competitive with the larger manufacturers. Production ceased in 1926, thus ending the saga of Haynes and Apperson’s.
The loveliest Apperson’s were the specials with long, lithe lines, bullet headlamps and oval radiators that were designed by their New York dealer C.T. Silver. Comedian Bob Hope’s first car was an Apperson.
The former homes of Elmer Apperson and Edgar Apperson still stand at 408 W. Mulberry and 518 W. Walnut, respectively.
Thanks to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum for showing this 1925 Apperson Six Sports Sedan. For more information on Indiana cars & companies, follow this link.