L.S. Dow and Phillip Goetz founded the National Automobile & Electric Company in Indianapolis during 1900. The first National vehicles were light electric vehicles offered in a plethora of body styles. A 1901 advertisement boasted, “The electric vehicle is always ready, requires no mechanical knowledge to run it, and among electric vehicles, the ‘National’ is pre-eminently simple, powerful, elegant, and excellent.”
In 1904 the company was reorganized as the National Motor Vehicle Company. Its first gasoline auto premiered in 1903. By 1905, a National car employed the powerful four cylinder Rutenber engine, with a round radiator that served as a distinguishing feature. The company stopped electric car production in 1906.
National introduced a six-cylinder Model E seven-passenger touring car in 1906, one of the first sixes in America. The 1906 catalog stated, “It was placed on the market to supply a growing demand for a high-powered commodious touring car of extremely flexible control, in which vibration is reduced to a minimum.” Its cylinders were cast separately until 1908, when National produced engines with cylinders cast in pairs.
The U.S. shield shaped radiator design debuted in 1908. In 1908 and 1909, National offered two models each with higher h.p. ratings in the four- and six-cylinder lines range from $2,750 to $5,000.
Immediately after a strong showing at the inaugural races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during August 1909, National featured the 1910 Model Forty in a two-page advertisement in Motor Age magazine: “The National ‘Forty’ this year is the fastest, the most powerful, and most capable car that has ever been offered at anything under $4,000 heretofore.” The price was $2,500.
During this period, racing played an important part in National’s plans. National finished seventh in the Inaugural 500-mile race on Memorial Day 1911. Additional 1911 competition road race victories include Elgin, Illinois; Santa Monica, California; and the Cactus Derby from Los Angeles, California, to Phoenix, Arizona. Joe Dawson driving a National won the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race in 1912 with an average speed of 78.7 m.p.h.
In 1912 the company focused on production of a variety of fours and sixes with pricing starting at $2,500. Eleven models were available in the 1914 line with prices ranging from $2,375 to $4,800.
In 1916 a new range of six body styles was announced with a Highway Six or the Highway Twelve in the same chassis. The 12 was drop¬ped in 1920, and National soldiered on with six-cylinder cars for its final four years. A merger in 1922 between National, Dixie Flyer and Jackson led to a range of three cars for
1923 and 1924. In January 1924, the company entered receivership.
For more information on Indiana-built automobiles follow this link.