Tag Archives: Parry Auto Company

Indianapolis is a busy auto making town – 1909

As reported in The Automobile, November 18, 1909 – Indianapolis was a busy auto making town.

1909 Parry
1909 Parry

Wheeler & Schebler, makers of the Wheeler & Schebler Carburetor, are now melting down two railroad carloads of ingot copper per month, not counting other ingredients as lead, tin, and spelter, in the production of carburetors, and not a few shipments are being made in carload lots (approximating 5,000) to individual companies. The plant is in full swing, and ground will soon be broken for a new addition, which will add 59,750 square feet of floor space, of which 8,000 square feet will be a new foundry. The power plant, using gas engines and producer gas, will have a 250-horsepower engine in the new acquisition.

George Schebler of the Wheeler & Schebler Carburetor Company, recently completed a 12-cylinder motor, and having placed it in a chassis suitable design, started on a jaunt overland. The motor, which is of the water-cooled V type, performs extremely well, and the compactness of the power plant is one of the wonders of Indianapolis.

The Diamond Chain Company, besides the regular line of sprocket chains as used in automobile work, is handling a wide line of chains, and, contrary to the usual expectation, chain work is increasing with such rapid strides that the company is hard pressed in the matter of handling all the trade it is offered. New additions of machinery are being made as rapidly as possible, and many improvements are being added. A new garage has been built for the officers of the company, and the electrical equipment of the plant includes a complete charging equipment of the latest design to handle electric vehicles.

David M. Parry, of the Parry Auto Company, is banking on the permanence of the automobile, and among other interests is making every preparation to manufacture cars on a large basis. The Parry cars, of which there are two models (roadster and touring car), are being pushed out with the idea that the serial number 5,000 will show up on the production dial before the end of the 1909-10 period. Besides the large plant now available, the company is adding more floor space by way of new buildings.

1909 Marmon
1909 Marmon

Nordyke & Marmon, in their well-equipped plant, are making their own cylinders, aluminum castings, brass, bronze, and in fine everything of the moment. The new models are well in hand; cars are being put out at a rapid rate, and the quality of the work being done is up to the well-known standard of the company. The engineering office is practically through with 1910 designing, and the able “staff” is now in a position to carefully check up on every detail of the work as it comes through.

Fred W. Spacke Machine Company, parts maker, is doing a vast amount of work for automobile makers throughout the country, and when the representative of The Automobile called he was entertained in a most interesting way, having had the pleasure of seeing more kinds of grinders doing accurate work than is usually found under one roof. F.W. Spacke, himself a tool designer of wide reputation, recently perfected a grinder which will grind (all over) such irregular shapes as cams for integral camshafts, thus saving much time doing the work far more accurately than seems to be possible in any other way.

Twelve Auto Makers in Indianapolis Apparently, the only limit to building automobiles in this city next season will be the ability to get sufficient parts. Present estimates base next year’s production of local factories at 25,000 cars.

Another new company has just been added to the list, making 12 concerns in the city now making automobiles. The new company is the Star Motor Car Company, which has an authorized capitalization of $100,000, of which $75,000 is paid in. A plant will be built at once and a line of runabouts and touring cars to at about $1,000 will be made, together with delivery wagons and trucks.

In addition to this, there will be two other practically new local companies in the field during the 1910 season. These are the Cole Motor Car Company, and the Empire Motor Car Company.

I believe this article tells an interesting story of Indianapolis’ leadership in the early automotive industry. For more information on Indiana cars & companies, follow this link.

Indianapolis Auto Manufacturing News November 18, 1909

Here is some interesting Indianapolis auto manufacturing news reported in The Automobile, dated November 18, 1909.

George Schebler of the Wheeler Schebler Carburetor Company, recently completed a 12-cylinder motor, and having placed it in a chassis suitable design, started on a jaunt overland. The motor, which is of the water-cooled V type, performs extremely well, and the compactness of the power plant is one of the wonders of Indianapolis.

Wheeler Schebler, makers of the Schebler carburetor, are now melting down two car loads of ingot copper per month, not counting other ingredients as lead, tin, and spelter, in the production of carburetors, and not a few shipments are being made in carload lots (approximating 5,000) to individual companies. The plant is in full swing, and ground will soon be broken for a new addition, which will add 59,750 square feet of floor space, of which 8,000 square feet will be in the new foundry. The power plant, using producer gas and gas engines, will have a 250 h.p. engine in the new acquisition.

The Diamond Chain Company, besides the regular line of sprocket chains as used in automobile work, if handling a wide line of chains, and, contrary to the usual expectation, chain work is increasing with such rapid strides that the company is hard pressed in the matter of handling all the trade it is offered. New additions of machinery are being made as rapidly as possible, and many improvements are being added. The electrical equipment of the plant includes complete charging equipment of the latest and best design to handle electric vehicles.

1909 Parry

David M. Parry, of the Parry Auto Company, is banking on the permanence of the automobile, and among other interests is making every preparation to manufacture cars on a large basis. The Parry cars, of which there are two models (roadster and touring car), are being pushed out with the idea that the serial number 5,000 will show up on the production dial before the end of the 1909-1910 period. Besides the large plant now available, the company is adding more floor space by way of new buildings.

Nordyke & Marmon, in their well equipped plant, are making their own cylinders, aluminum castings, brass, bronze and in fine everything of moment. The new models are well in hand; cars are being put our at a rapid rate, and the quality of the work being done is up to the well-known standard of the company. The engineering office is practically through with 1910 designing, and the able “staff” is now in a position to carefully check up on every detail of the work as it comes through.

Fred W. Spacke Machine Company, parts maker, is doing a vast amount of work for automobile makers throughout the country, and the representative of The Automobile called he was entertained in a most interesting way, having had the pleasure of seeing more kinds of grinders doing accurate work than is usually found under one roof. F.W. Spacke, himself a tool designer of wide reputation, recently perfected a grinder which will grind (all over) such irregular shapes as cams for integral camshafts, thus saving much time doing the work far more accurately than seems to be possible in any other way.

Joseph J. Cole and Nellie Cole with the first Cole
Joseph J. Cole and Nellie Cole with the first Cole

For twelve auto makers in Indianapolis, apparently, the only limit to building automobiles in this city next season will be the ability to get sufficient parts. Present estimates base next year’s production of local factories at 25,000 cars. Another new company has just been added to the list, making 12 concerns in the city now making automobiles. A new company is the Star Motor Car Company, which has an authorized capitalization of $100,000, of which $75,000 is paid in. A plant will be built at once and a line of runabouts and touring cars to at about $1,000 will be made, together with delivery wagons and trucks. In addition to this, there will be two other practically new local companies in the field during the 1910 season. These are the Cole Motor Car Company, and the Empire Motor Car Company.

For more information on Indiana cars & companies, follow this link.

David M. Parry transportation visionary

Prior to starting the Indianapolis-based Parry Auto Company in summer 1909, David M. Parry was president of the Parry Manufacturing Company for 27 years. The company was among the largest carriage factories in the word in the 1890’s. Parry was also a principal stockholder in the Overland Automobile Company, which he relinquished to John N. Willys in 1907.

Some of the early Parry auto production took place in seven Standard Wheel Works facilities at 1140-60 Division Street, before Parry buildings were completed. He offered the Parry as a two-passenger roadster and five passenger touring car with four-cylinder overhead valve engines, priced from $1,285 to $1,485. A December 9, 1909 Motor Age article stated that Parry planned to build 5,000 autos in 1910. Parry production did not meet this benchmark, thus forcing the company into receivership due to heavy equipment outlays.

1911 New Parry
1911 New Parry ad

In 1911, after reorganizing the firm as the Motor Car Manufacturing Company, the car name was changed to New Parry. The only thing new in this offering was the name. The two-passenger roadster and five passenger touring car were essentially duplicates of the previous offerings. Additional models were a four-passenger touring car and a four-passenger demi-tonneau. These four cylinder models were priced from $1,350 to $1,750.

The Pathfinder introduced in 1912 succeeded the New Parry as a boattail speedster. It was noted for several advanced body innovations, such as the disappearing top and a spare wheel cover. Initially, Pathfinders had four cylinder engines, followed by sixes with V radiators. The Pathfinder was issued a certificate of performance by the Royal Automobile Club following its participation in a trial in 1912.

1916 Pathfinder ad
1916 Pathfinder ad

The company was reorganized as The Pathfinder Company in 1916. The year also saw the introduction of a model with a Weidley 12 cylinder engine called Pathfinder the Great, King of Twelves. These models ranged from $2,750 for a seven-passenger touring car to $4,800 for a special enclosed body car. Shortage of materials during World War I severely handicapped Pathfinder operations. In December 1917, the company was liquidated in receivership.

David M. Parry’s 1906 estate, called Golden Hill, gave its name to the historic Indianapolis neighborhood that arose when his family divided the property into residential building lots. The original Parry mansion and its 4.5-acre site has been restored and is on the market. Follow this link for more information.

For more information on Indiana auto pioneers follow this link.