While planning my attack on business communications, I received a Linkedin alert from Peter Guber about the importance of using storytelling in business communications. This was a serendipitous event because I was looking into using storytelling in some of my social media efforts. Therefore, I got a copy of his book Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story.
Tell to Win updates the art of storytelling for today’s business communications. He cites numerous incidents where purposeful stories move the listeners’ hearts to take action. Stories persuade others to support a vision, dream, or a cause.
Some tips from the book include:
- Be sure your story tells WIIFT-What’s In It For Them.
- Be an active listener and teller. Tell the story of following your passion.
- Firsthand or witnessed experience is the best raw material for your story.
- Be aware that your body is talking before your tongue moves.
- Legacy stories are powerful and enduring.
- Emotionally transport your listeners’ to your goal offline and online through the art of storytelling.
Guber’s experiences yield a thorough look at the forces in purposeful storytelling. He provides insights about this form of emotional transportation. His love for storytelling adds interest and draws you into Telling to Win.
Peruse Tell to Win at Amazon.com
Back to: Book Review – reviews of current and other auto-related books