After being a wagon builder, the George W. Davis Motor Co., in Richmond, IN, built cars from 1908 to 1929. In this article, I’ll discuss the seven models for 1921 with prices ranging from $2,085 for the five-passenger touring car to $3,085 for the coupe and sedan.
As an assembled car, the Davis was quite well built. The Davis chassis was standardized in all models with a sturdy 6-inch frame. The axles, both front and rear, were Timken with Timken bearings. The engine was the famous Continental Red Seal 7R with a four-bearing counterbalanced crankshaft and a Stromberg carburetor. It also featured Delco starting-lighting-ignition and Warner steering gear and transmission.
Equipment on all models was exceptionally complete with U.S Royal Cord tires, Duplex headlamps, Motometer, tilt steering wheel, a winged aluminum radiator cap, individual fenders, and aluminum steps on the sport models, dome light, and perfection heater on the coupe and sedan, genuine leather upholstery and clear vision side curtains on the open models.
The touring car was a roomy five-passenger car, with ample room for five persons. It was a low model, with seats deeply cushioned and set low. This model was finished in lustrous black, with genuine leather upholstery.
The sport car was a low, rakish four-passenger sport model. It was finished in “Blue Devil” blue with a black radiator, chassis, and individual fenders. It was upholstered in hand-buffed brown genuine Spanish leather.
The roadster was a striking model. There was room enough in the broad low seat for three passengers to ride in utmost comfort. It had power, speed, and stamina. It was finished in deep maroon.
The Fleetway was an original Davis creation. It was a distinguished car of the popular sport type. It was powerful, fast, graceful and had an unusual ability to perform. It was finished in “Blue Devil” blue, with blue Disteel wheels and a black radiator, fenders and chassis. It was a car of unusual beauty.
The Man O’ War was the newest Davis model. Some called it the “most beautiful roadster in America” – it was a most distinctive and beautiful car. It was finished in deep maroon, with maroon Disteel wheels and a black individual fenders, radiator, and chassis. It was also upholstered in brown hand-buffed genuine Spanish leather.
The coupe and sedan were both dignified and luxurious coaches. The body and coach work were harmonious and elegant. The sedan was finished in midnight blue, the coupe in “Blue Devil” blue. The upholstery was rich and durable fabric in harmonious and pleasing colors.
Davis cars were built as standardized units of the highest quality. “Built of the Best” was the Davis ad slogan and was the manufacturing creed of the Davis company for more than 12 years. The Davis was a car of character and distinction.
For more information on Indiana cars & companies follow this link.